For the help of other users, I just want to mention that in Ubuntu
17.04, I ended up switching back to stable xorg and *removing* xserver-
xorg-video-intel, as suggested in some online documentation, in order to
force the modesetting driver to run. I'd see modesetting and glamoregl
modules loading in the Xorg.0.log file.

Then, I disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome, using the official
setting available in Chrome settings. (Not via a flag.) Search for
"acceleration" in chrome://settings and then un-check that option.

With these two corrective actions, I seem to have a stable machine, even
when running Chrome day-in day-out for a long time in gnome-shell. I
also can't force a crash with Facebook 3D images any longer. This is
probably the right set of recommendations for users with my Lenovo X1C
model or similar Skylake & GPU hardware.

  xorg crash/freeze when Chrome uses WebGL, caused by: GPU HANG: ...
  chrome ... reason: Hang on render ring, action: reset