Yes definitely try blacklisting nouveau.

The GTX 1050 is relatively new. In my experience the GTX 1060 (slightly
older) only started working recently and the GTX 960 still doesn't work
with nouveau at last check.

Although when I say "working" I mean the machine boots without hanging
and doesn't fall back to the LLVMpipe driver (which my GTX 1060 did for
quite a while).

  wayland session in Ubuntu 18.04 chooses LLVMpipe software driver on
  hybrid graphics system