16.04.03 64 bits
Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz × 2
ASUS Notebook X51L

I followed these instructions to install libgl1-mesa-dri/xenial-proposed step
by step:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/992571/gui-unity-crashing-in-16-04-lts-after-updates-2018-01-04-compiz-segfaults
and it failed...

Installing stock hwe stack on 16.04 worked for me (#30). Thanks a lot!

I couldn't use my sidebar. When I hovered with my mouse over the sidebar
or clicked on one of the icons everything disappeared except for the
background picture and then the windows and sidebar came back
immediately but no program was opened. I also could not
reboot/shutdown/logout using the graphic menu.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [regression] compiz crashes after Mesa upgrade