Hi, I just upgraded from 17.04 to 17.10.
I m running my ubuntu in Xorg mode.
After the upgrade (Dell Laptop with an Alps touchpad) there are no touchpad
settings available at all (see attached screenshot).
The touchpad would work though, but I could not disable it at all. Pressing the
Function-key+F3 would show the on-screen symbol of the disabled touchpad, but
it wouldn't disable the touchpad.
At the moment I am using a bash script that is utilizing "xinput --disable
$device" to enable/disable the touchpad.

** Attachment added: "Screenshot of mouse/touchpad settings page"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/artful/+source/xorg/+bug/1686081/+attachment/5045199/+files/Screenshot_no_touchpad_settings.png

  If -synaptics is installed, GNOME Mouse & Touchpad Settings doesn't
  work