1) It may take a bit of time before I can make the tests with the current
Ubuntu version. And, I fear that such tests might not be reliable: after the
temporary use of the NVidia driver I could use the "nouveau" driver for some
time even without the special boot parameter "nouveau.config=NvMSI=0" - only
after some months, new freezes occurred. I have the feeling that the problem
(now) arises non-deterministically -- likely dependent on environment factors
such as temperature and/or humidity.
While freezes are now rather rare for me, I often observe that the top bars of
my windows (usually black) are drawn in an irregular black/white pattern
(similar to the freeze pattern) when I move the mouse pointer over the bar. I
have the feeling that this is related to the freeze problem.

2) I had no crashes in Ubuntu 12.04 - without any kernel boot
parameters. But, I am not sure that under 12.04, I was already using the
"nouveau" driver. Earlier Ubuntu versions have been using another
standard driver for NVidia cards (likely "nv") and I can no longer
remember which Ubuntu version has switched to "nouveau". I myself did
not actively switch to "nouveau".

3) I could use the NVidia driver for some time under Ubuntu 16.04. But,
its use is unstable in the sense that an Ubuntu update can render it
dysfunctional (apparently, a post installation step has problems to
properly integrate the NVidia driver) and it is very nasty to fix things
up afterwards (I must use a different driver and then reinstall the
NVidia driver via "system administration"). I therefore switched back to
"nouveau".

  [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] System freeze