Bill Miller, I can ssh into the system and install packages - apt-get
still works, etc.  Right now the only thing I can't do is get into the
desktop; it shows a login screen but won't accept my password (even
though my password works fine in ssh).  I think it is because when I
tried to install the nVida Linux drivers it removed Noveau, and I can't
seem to get it back.

What I am not understanding is what you meant by "the -112" - I assume
you are talking about a version number or something, but of what?  I
went to that link but they are using Synaptic and I have no way to get
to that because I can't get into the desktop.  Also, unlike that guy, as
far as i know I did not "made the mistake of purging the functional
kernel" which means that the previous kernel is probably still around on
the hard drive, I just don't know how you would set it up to boot into
the previous kernel rather than the new kernel.

Rather than continue this discussion here I suggest we move it to
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2385621&p=13742281#post13742281
as this is probably not appropriate for the bug tracker, and I suspect
many others are affected by this and would like to find a solution.

  4.4.0-116 Kernel update on 2/21 breaks Nvidia drivers (on 14.04 and
  16.04)