It seems Unity is not affected. I took some time to respond because I
could not reproduce the bug yesterday after rebooting the machine. It
seems something triggers the bug, and once it has been triggered I can
consistently reproduce it with pm-suspend, even after logging out and
back in (this in itself makes the issue disappear, but suspending makes
it appear again).

So now that it occurred again, I logged several times into Unity and
Gnome Shell (xorg), and executing pm-suspend always made the problem
appear in Gnome Shell, and never did in Unity.

I still do not know what triggers the bug in the first place, but it
seems to occur usually when I go from work to home or vice versa, which
implies suspending, closing the lid, unplugging the AC adapter, external
monitor and USB hub.

For what it's worth, the problem occurs with my USB mouse and with my
Bluetooth mouse.

which is subscribed to libinput in Ubuntu.

  Left mouse button gets stuck down (in software), usually after
  suspend/resume