(Note: I intentionally don't fix repeated characters
cccaaaaauuuusssssseeeeeedddd by that issue in my message below)

I'm affected by   ttthhheeeeee     sssssssame issue.

Initially I have installed Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS. While installing it, I
had to add ttttthe boot parameter "acpi=off" in grub settings (both for
the installer andd    for booting of the installed OS). Otherwise, I got
a freeze on boot.

AAAAaafter installation, I got this probleeemmmm. But next to issues
with repeated keys, I got temporary freezes in firefox. I see that
sometimes the caret is applicaatioooooonsssss     flickers too fast (and
that is when I get repeated characters). And other strange issues.

I opened a clock application in https://www.online-stopwatch.com/online-
clock/ and I saw that the speed offf  the "seconds" needle is not
regular, and it sometimes moves backwardssss  bbbyyyy      10 to 15
seconds. There is really something wrong with system time.

Then I have upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10, but it was the same (but I got
additional issues because of the upgrade :( ).

And the solution was the one from comment #356 from this thread (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/124406/comments/356
), which adds a "clocksource=jiffies" boot option.

I'm not done yet. Now I have a hang on Ubuntu shutdown (
https://askubuntu.com/questions/764568/ubuntu-16-04-hangs-on-shutdown-
restart ), and the suggested solution there is ... forcing acpi in boot
options :(

I have no idea whether this issue is related my acpi issues.

  Keyboard keys get stuck and repeat