Thanks for the workaround to make wifi work - that could come in useful.

I'm unsure whether your display info is relevant or not.  As far as I am
aware I only have one graphics controller/card/GPU integrated into the
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz × 4 and that is Intel®
Ironlake Mobile with just the laptop screen as a monitor.  Your output
suggests 2 and/or 2 monitors?

For completeness I add the following:-

sudo lshw -c display

  *-display
       product: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 02
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:26 memory:f2000000-f23fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff
ioport:1800(size=8) memory:c0000-dffff

  Wrongly boots into low graphics mode