The instructions the original reporter links to, for debugging touchpad
issues in Ubuntu, is outdated. The way it seems to me, 18.04 Bionic
Beaver uses the libinput drivers instead of synaptics by default. At
least that is the case on the LiveCD. Therefore, this bug report is
linked to the wrong component - understandable due to misleading
documentation.

Furthermore, my initial analysis of the root cause was way off. The real
issue is that the palm detection threshold for this particular model is
set too low in libinput. Consequently, spurious palm detection events
make the touchpad temporarily unresponsive. I've submitted a patch for
this quirk upstream.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  'Apple touchpad bcm5974' is temporarily unresponsive after a few
  seconds of continuous input in 'Apple MacBookPro5,4 (mid 2009)' after
  upgrading to 18.04 Beta 2