Question 1) Monitor is plugged in on standard VGA connector (15 pin
D-Sub). I guess it does not matter which monitor type. I have done it
with a Ilyama ProLite G2773HS and a Samsung Syncmaster S24B350 monitor.

As soon as the monitors are configured, for example the external monitor
as replacement for the built in LCD-display of a notebook, the system
detects this configuration next time automatically and is switching to
the proper monitor configuration, also for the login-screen. This
behavior is fine, but does not help the first time, when no
configuration was done (or it falls back to the starting situation).

Question 2) I am using the P/N: U3DUALADA (barcode D16-00352296).

Question 3) As HDMI monitor I am using the Samsung Syncmaster S24B35

Question 4) Using the i-tec adapter for the additional Samsung
Syncmaster S24B350 monitor was working without any problems on Ubuntu
16.04. On Ubuntu 18.04 monitor configuration is not automatically
detected. As work-arround I open the configuration->devices->displays
dialog. If this dialog is open and I reconnect the i-tec adapter, the
system offers now configuration possibilities. This must be done every
time the adpater is connected to the system. A second minor problem when
using this adapter is a mouse flickering effect. When mouse icon
changes, it mouse icon disappears completely for a short time. When
disconnecting the adapter system finds back to the default monitor
situation without problems.

  Login screen not moved to used monitor