Roger Davis:

 A) Regarding your comment:
>"sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04
>xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04"

That doesn't confirm you are booted into the HWE kernel. That only shows
that certain packages are installed (which you provided already in a
previous comment).

If you want to demonstrate what kernel is being using currently type:
uname -a

 B) Regarding your comment:
>"...but now after additional other updates, and using Xdiagnose with various
>settings, I haven't seen a boot problem for a few updates. I will continue to
>monitor for a few days with Xdiagnose off to assure that problem is really
>gone."

Sounds good.

 B) Regarding your comment:
>"...actually causes a problem in my system. It sets and locks the theme to
>Ambiance, even though the setting properly shows Adwaita."

Could be a bug, but that isn't the scope of this report. If you want it
fixed, you would have to file a new report.

 C) Regarding your comment:
>"Please tell me before I deal with this if this is possibly something done by
>Xdiagnose..."

Given you don't recall doing it, it was done by Xdiagnose when you
checked its checkboxes.

  message - Low Graphics mode - about 2/3 of startups - not all