I think it is related to the graphics driver (I am using i915) so I
issued the bug for the xserver-xorg-video-intel package which provides
that driver.  I have tried booting different kernels, for example
4.4.0-66-generic  https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/linux-
image-4.4.0-66-generic   but I forgot to install linux-image-
extra-4.4.0-66-generic https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/linux-image-
extra-4.4.0-66-generic

The result is that many of my kernel modules were missing (e.g., my WiFi
driver, my graphics driver, my EVDI driver, etc.).  When I booted in
this state obviously many things were not working.  But, my Firefox
menus were working.  My display was using some fallback driver
presumably, which gave me a working low-res display.

If I then install linux-image-extra-4.4.0-66-generic and reboot
everything would be "back to normal" except that I was running on a
slightly older kernel.  However, the menus on Firefox would re-break.
So there is almost definitely some kernel module that is causing the
problem.

I can do repeat these test and provide more details if it's helpful.
Also, https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1782096 sounds identical (as well
as the bug that is referenced in the comments of 1782096).

  Firefox "hamburger" menu not visible