Thanks Gunnar :-)

I don't think my report was invalid. I've been using Neo 2 for many
years, so I know what it looks like when it works. So here's what
happens in some more detail:

1. I insert a USB Stick with xubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso into my computer.
2. I start the computer and, by pressing F10, use the USB as my booting device
(live system).
3. I select Language Deutsch.
4. I select »Ubuntu ausprobieren« (try Ubuntu).
>From here, the keyboard should respond in the Neo manner, meaning that asdf
>yields uiae, jklö yields nrtd, etc. At least that's what it does when using
>16.04.
6. I start Mousepad to test the keyboard layout. So jklö should yield nrtd, but
in actual fact what I get is ›456,‹. Which is Neo 2 to be sure, however it's
not Mod1, but Mod4.

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  German Neo2 Problem with Xubuntu 18.04 (try out mode)