A couple new facts:

This time, when I started the machine with external monitor plugged in,
the machine was unable to go beyond the mirrored screen setting. Any
change resulted in a black screen with, apparently, the last column of
what should be displayed in the built-in the LCD displayed as the first
column of the built-in LCD. Mouse movement was OK and I was able to
click on the indicator-session-applet and open the menu, but could not
successfully click on the menu itself in order to restart X. Ctrl-Alt-
Backspace didn't work either.

I am attaching the lspci, dmesg and Xorg.0.log

** Attachment added: "lspci output"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/33496595/lspci-vvnn.txt

--
Plugging a second monitor hard-crashes (locks-up) the computer
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-sis in ubuntu.