right, not this case which is a bit weird one

Booting up the live image desktop does this:
- vboxvideo.ko is not initialized when X starts
- X unloads modesetting and configures the vesa driver instead
- vboxvideo.ko is initialized later and xserver loads modesetting again
- DRI is initialized and at this point the server goes boom

Then the installer will load gdm and it works normally, because
vboxvideo.ko is loaded. On the installed system the initrd probably has
vboxvideo in it so it's loaded earlier, but I haven't confirmed this.

In any case, the xserver probably shouldn't crash like it does, I'll try
filing it upstream.

  Cosmic Desktop fails to boot in vbox: Xorg assert failure: Xorg:
  ../../../../dix/privates.c:384: dixRegisterPrivateKey: Assertion
  `!global_keys[type].created' failed.