I'm done with this. Took out the nVidia card today, only to run into the
same old performance problems (i.e. no smooth video playback) with the
i915 driver (which were the initial reasons to switch to nVidia). Even
without the card, I'm still running into this bug. Guess I have to
manually remove the nVidia drivers as well. What a mess. AMD here I
come.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-graphics-drivers fail to build [error: implicit declaration of
  function ‘init_timer’]