Extra information: sudo kill -9 <pid-of-xorg-process> via ssh connection
did restore the display in working order without restarting the system
so I'm pretty sure this is caused by some kind of hang caused by xorg
process. Plain kill without -9 did not do anything, though.

Perhaps this is caused by some race conditition while xorg is keeping
some locks which cause keyboard not to work (e.g. Alt+Ctrl+F1) and the
display does not update.

After saying that, the system seems to be in some weird state where
pretty much all my old X client processess are still running (e.g.
Chrome, Opera, Thunderbird) even though the original xorg process does
not exists anymore. Thunderbird seems to be eating 100% of a single
core.

  Display freezes (possible i915 freeze/hang)