To confirm: The bug being experienced is that the main screen goes black
for three seconds, then is replaced by the greeter. The current session
is killed, with no attempt at a clean shutdown.

The bug results in an Xorg Crash log, see above.

I have searched for solutions, but most seem to revolve around removing
the nouveau drivers and installing the NVidia driver. However, there are
other reports that this does not support dual screens unless xinerama is
used.

Happy to try the nvidea driver provided
a) Someone lets me know definitively how to get back! or
b) Someone lets me know that dual screen will work.

You may assume that I am technically competent and willing to try most
things that do not destroy my box!

  Xorg crash