I've been informed that this is a duplicate of 1805873 and that further
communication about this bug should happen in this thread. I am able to
reproduce this bug with a specific series of steps. Here's what I know:

---

I have a laptop and docking station with 2 displays attached. I can
trigger a crash of the Xorg desktop by the following series of steps.

Actual Behavior:

1. While the laptop is on the dock, put it to sleep
2. Pick up the laptop from the dock
3. Wake up the laptop while undocked
4. Use xrandr commands to adjust the laptops screen so it is the primary display
5. Put the laptop back to sleep
6. Re-dock the laptop
7. Wake up the laptop on the dock
8. Observe that Xorg has crashed, desktop state is lost, and the laptop has
returned to the login screen.

Expected Behavior:

These is no combination of docking, sleeping, or xrandr display commands
that can crash my X session and drop my laptop back to the login screen.

Notes on Timing of this Issue:
I've been living with this issue for many months, but it's only recently that
I've realized that I can trigger it 100% of the time by running xrandr commands
while undocked, then re-docking. This pattern is common if you use your laptop
for work, taking it back and forth between the dock and various meeting rooms,
then back to the dock again.

  Xorg crashed with SIGABRT in OsAbort() from AbortServer() from
  FatalError() from xf86VTEnter() from systemd_logind_vtenter()