I saw what looks like the same issue under Wayland today. It was
slightly different than what I had seen before in that I had one window
(Chrome) that wasn't black. All others were. The issue started when I
clicked to upload a file to a web page. The Chrome window went subdued,
which it normally will do when it's launching the file chooser to select
a file to upload, but the file chooser came up all black, and Chrome
remained subdued and unresponsive (at least in that tab). Other
application windows were also all black, including newly launched ones
(tried another Files and also a Terminal window).

Logging out and logging back in corrected the behavior.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [radeon] Application windows in 18.04.01 go black but launcher is
  still visible