I've been running the same setup and it runs absolutely perfectly if I
boot up with editing the Ubuntu command line in grub and add
video=VGA-1:e

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-43-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxx ro
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=VGA-1:edid/hannsg.bin video=VGA-1:e

adding the video=VGA-1:e will allow the drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware
parameter to work and I get my proper display.

If I don't add the video=VGA-1:e line it will come up at 1024x768 mode
and give a "Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors".
After I do this following xrandr command and the stored configuration is
restored I get the flickering problem virtually INSTANTLY.

$ xrandr --newmode "1920x1080R" 138.50 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1083 1088 1111
+hsync -vsync; xrandr --addmode VGA-1 "1920x1080R"

With the video=VGA-1:e the stored configuration comes up properly on
initial boot and the video drivers work perfectly, no flickering.

https://ptouchman.blogspot.com/2018/12/my-edid-was-going-unrecognized-
until-i.html

I'll post a video when I dig out my digital camera.

  Triple buffer flickering and weird display updating