Do you have a better solution? If I change the HDMI display to
-2560x-360 it doesn't work either. Now there is space to the bottom and
right of the laptop display (captured in screenshot) and the external
monitor is not actually at that position either, it's more like
-2560x-180 (not sure if negative values are even supported.) I've
attached a screenshot with no external display connected.

Like I said, this is a new problem.

** Attachment added: "Screenshot from 2019-03-07 07-56-35.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1818829/+attachment/5244436/+files/Screenshot%20from%202019-03-07%2007-56-35.png

  Disconnected monitors act as present