Sorry, but this looks to me like a broken (or just poorly connected) LCD
panel in the laptop. Not a software problem.

I've had similar problems myself before, and the fix each time was to
either replace the LCD panel, or to just reconnect its wires (sometimes
the problem is just a bad connection).

As a first point of call you should return the laptop to where you
bought it, or contact HP Support about a warranty claim.

** Summary changed:

- Screen flickers randomly appears on built-in laptop display only
+ Vertical line screen flickers randomly appears on built-in laptop display only

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => ubuntu

** Changed in: ubuntu