I had been experiencing the freeze/lockup on 18.10. My main machine is a
Lenovo ThinkPad laptop with switchable graphics (Intel & Nvidia), and
Intel Xeon E-2176M CPU.

Originally, my guess was that the lockup was graphics related. Back in
March 2019, I applied the xorg.conf edits recommended in comment #42.
This seemed to eliminate the hard freezes, at least for a while.
However, not long ago, perhaps around  mid-June, the freezes returned.
Also, I encountered the freezes not only with Intel graphics engaged,
but when the system was using the discrete Nvidia chip too. I tried to
correlate the freezing with use of Chromium, but it occurred using
Firefox too, and in fact happened with no browser running.

As a last ditch attempt to avoid re-installation, I upgraded the system
from 18.10 ~> 19.04, hopeful that kernel version 5 would make the
situation better. In my case, this has been so. //Since upgrading to
19.04, and running various increments of kernel 5
(5.0.0-[17,19,20]-generic,) I haven't encountered any freezes// 5 days
now and counting (FWIW)

>From reading prior posts, seems some folks are already using kernel 5,
and their freeze problem remains. Nevertheless, for my case, with a
laptop with newer hardware, upgrading Ubuntu and kernel version was
helpful.

I had accumulated a collection of crash dumps from my old Ubuntu version
(18.10 and kernel 4.18), which I will attach to the ticket. Hopefully
they might be of use for investigation.

  Random unrecoverable freezes on Ubuntu 18.10