https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/intel-microcode-atomic-update.html

TLDR

`
Apparently, hardware-based panel refresh supports automatic entry and exit from
self-refresh. It is also an atomic operation, which means the processor will
wait for it to complete until it finishes. Instinctively, we can assume there
is some kind of an issue here, because if it takes to long for the screen to
refresh, it may appear frozen.

Perhaps the driver misses buffers, or something else in the driver blocks the
self-refresh functionality. This is not a guaranteed reason for the problem,
but it a decent rule of thumb for what we are facing. And now, we can, with
some confidence, attempt to apply a workaround that may help mitigate the
freeze issues until a complete solution is provided with a driver update as
part of normal distro update cycle. Hopefully.
`

Work arounds

 Install Intel's proprietary firmware (Intel microcode)

 Under /etc/modprobe.d/, you will need to create a configuration file
i915.conf, if it does not already exist. Then, inside this file, you will need
to add the following line:

options i915 enable_psr=0

  System freezing or flickering with i915 error
  [drm:intel_pipe_update_end [i915]] *ERROR* Atomic update failure on
  pipe A