Hello there. Good news for a change:

Re-tested this bug today on latest linux 5.3.1 kernel and nvidia 435.21
binary (closed) drivers. And it seems like there might be some
improvement now.

What I noticed this time:

* Enabled 120hz overclock on my high refresh 120hz monitor, and rebooted this
monitor. It is my primary display.
* Opened nvidia settings ("NVIDIA X Server Settings")
* Set the frame rate of this dispaly in there to 120hz with force full
composition pipeline both on
* Frame rate was initially capped at 60 fps. Which matches the slower 2nd
monitor as before. As shown by the command: 'sudo journalctl -f'
* Then I unplugged my 2nd slower 60hz monitor.
* Frame rate was still capped at 60 fps
* Closed some graphical (probably open GL based) programs: Glxgears, kodi, and
bitwig studio.
* Frame rate was now capped to 71 fps
* Went back to NVIDIA settings GUI
* Navigated to "OpenGL Settings" page
* Un-checked all of the first 4 settings on that page, which were:

[ ] "Sync to VBlank"
[ ] "Allow Flipping"
[ ] "Allow G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible"
[ ] "Enable G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible Visual Indicator"

* The fps shown in 'sudo journalctl -f' is now going all the way up to
120hz. Whilst running the command 'glxgears' to make a graphical
workload

I then went back and re-enabled all of the options in the OpenGL page,
except for "Allow Flipping", like this:

[x] "Sync to VBlank"
[ ] "Allow Flipping"
[x] "Allow G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible"
[x] "Enable G-SYNC/G-SYNC Compatible Visual Indicator"

* The frame rate was still reaching up to 120Hz.
* Then I plugged my 2nd slower 60hz monitor back into the NVIDIA graphics card
* Previously this was the point in the test when the frame rate would
immediately drop back down to only 60 FPS

However this time, it stayed at 120fps. Which is very encouraging and a
positive result from my testing today.

What I am not sure about:

* How easily it is to get the system into this state
* For example whether it can come up like this after a reboot. Or if it
requires a certain ritual / ceremony / fernagaling to get everything to this
point
* How stable this state is, how delicate / easily broken by launching some
specific program(s).

In particular I am thinking about fullscreen games. However my gpu here
(GT 1030) simply isn't powerful enough to do proper testing for more
demanding programs and workloads like that.

Anyhow I think it's a great result from what we can observe so far. Just
wish I had a better graphics card now.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu in Ubuntu.

  [xorg] multiple monitors: limits the framerate of faster 120/144hz
  monitors to 60hz