I did a build applying the patch (fortunately no GTK 3 build was
required) and I was testing with one offending netbook.

The crash no longer happens when using the patched onboard version, and
I noticed that after I ran and added a letter with accent at least once
with the patched version, the onboard version from the repositories also
works.

However, there is a bug where the keyboard layout changes as I write it
and some letters add the wrong characters. The attached video shows the
problem, notice what happens with the "ç" character.

** Attachment added: "Video showing the keyboard layout problem"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/onboard/+bug/1809737/+attachment/5303916/+files/newonboard2.mkv

  Onboard crashes the entire desktop (Xorg crashes in _XkbSetMapChecks
  xkb.c:2387)