The video card in question has died...
The machine wouldn't boot at all with the video card in the machine. So I think
the bug report should be retired, not so much resolved as unresolvable. I can't
collect any more data on the symptoms and I can't swear the problem wasn't an
early indication of hardware failure.

Thanks to all who had suggestions.

I did manage to try the NVidia 430 driver before it died. It didn't
work, but it had different symptoms. X wouldn't come up, but I could
ctrl-alt-f1 to get to a command line and switch back to nouveau, instead
of having to boot to command line.

It was replaced with an even older card (GeForce 9500 GT), which also
didn't work with the NVidia drivers, and had an unreliable fan, so I had
to put an extra fan in the case until I got around to applying a crowbar
to the notoriously tight wallet and get a brand new Radeon RX580.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  X won't start at boot with either nvidia driver on GeForce GT 730
  (bionic)