@vanvugt: Actually, the only things necessary to trigger this bug (and
thus leave your computer useless) is to install Ubuntu, with auto-login
enabled, and an nvidia card in your computer. The proprietary drivers
aren't necessary.

Considering nvidia's market share (80% according to the steam hardware
survey, which will be skewed towards people with discrete GPUs, but
still), I think giving this issue a priority of low is wrong.

I think preventing people from bricking their systems should be given a
higher priority. Maybe add a feature in the installer to detect if
someone has an nvidia GPU, and prevent them to enable auto login if they
do. Or maybe remove "splash" from the kernel CLI args for people with an
nvidia GPU by default.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia] Automatic login fails and then all subsequent logins fail.
  Killing gnome-session-binary fixes it, or just not using automatic
  login.