I have a T100HAN in my personal hw collection, so I just booted up a
nightly build of the Fedora 32 workstation livecd on it and that works
fine for me. This nightly build is using a 5.6 kernel.

So the 5.6 kernel can work on this hardware. AFAIK Ubuntu, like Fedora
puts the i915 driver in the initrd. I guess either a module is missing
from the initrd, or there is a module loading ordering issue going on
here. The T100HAN uses a Crystal Cove PMIC.

Here are the setting from a couple of relevant Kconfig options which
Fedora uses:

CONFIG_INTEL_SOC_PMIC=y
CONFIG_PWM_CRC=y
CONFIG_GPIO_CRYSTAL_COVE=y
CONFIG_PMIC_OPREGION=y
CONFIG_BYTCRC_PMIC_OPREGION=y
CONFIG_CHTCRC_PMIC_OPREGION=y

Note these are all builtin for Fedora, perhaps you can do a test build
of an Ubuntu kernel with the same settings?

Also can you attach, or email me the .config Ubuntu is using for
building their kernels?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  ASUS T100HAN boots to a blank screen with a cursor [i965: Failed to
  submit batchbuffer: Input/output error]