Ubuntu 18.04 using Wayland: The monitor connected to the AST2500 VGA has
no signal during and after login.  "xrandr -q" shows both devices are
active.  They are listed as XWAYLAND0 and XWAYLAND1.  Ubuntu desktop's
"Display configuration" window shows both monitors are active.  I can
move the monitors relative to each other and change the monitor assigned
as "primary".  When I change these configurations the only thing that
appears to be amiss is the missing AST2500 VGA video signal.

Ubuntu 20.04 using xorg: The monitor connected to the AST2500 VGA has no
signal during or after login.  "xrandr -q" shows the DisplayPort and
HDMI that are part of the i915 (this machine does not provide the HDMI
part of the i915); it does not show the AST2500 device.  lspci and lshw
show the AST2500 is present.  Ubuntu desktop's "Display configuration"
window only has options for one monitor.

Ubuntu 20.04 using Wayland: I seem to recall switching Ubuntu 20.04 from
xorg to wayland using a button in the lower right corner of the login
menu to present a menu that permitted me to toggle between xorg and
wayland.  The button only appears while I am entering the password at
the login screen.  Today that same button presents a different menu.
The options are "Remmina kiosk" and "Ubuntu".  I do not know how to
toggle to Wayland without the button and I don't recall well enough to
recount what I saw in Wayland earlier this week.

I will look into Ubuntu 19 tomorrow.

  modeset: Loss of VGA signal (ast2500) on login