ohai.

so I tried to start into "wayland" session but the option is not there
the only options are "Gonome on Xorg". "Gnome Classic" and "Ubuntu" - all three
run xorg - no wayland.
$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

None of these three can run a joined display. Mirror (2 x 1080p) works well.
Also Extending the screen when running the screen in non-native (1080p) works.

so I started experimenting - used a different hdmi cable (1.4 with ethernet)
but same
also used a HDMI to DP adapter and connected that - nothing.
then I tried running the screen as a "single" display - that also failed,

Now, I am running the proprietary nvidia driver (so I can switch intel
and nvidia, I think it's called PRIME) - I switched to Intel only but
same. Can't run the screen in QHD resolution, be it joined or single.

hope this helps someone. I'll wait for a new driver/fix/kernel/ubuntu
release (20 April still go? ) :)

Andreas

  qhd (joined) via hdmi 1.4 not working