This is a small piece of the log when watching a log.
the i915 eDP driver receives a "hotplug event received", which corresponds with
a slingle flickering of the screen.
So I assume something goes wrong with retraining the link, or for some reason
the screen thinks that the pc is disconnected and triggers an interrupt, which
then for some other reason flickers the screen.

I'm not well-versed with eDP 1.4, so I assume to be totally wrong.

** Attachment added: "relevant portion of dmesg with "drm.debug=14" kernel
parameter"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1875649/+attachment/5362494/+files/dmesg.txt

   Screen flickering in Kubuntu 20.04 on Lenovo Yoga C940 14-IIL