vanvugt: Well, I ran into a little issue.  I went ahead and did a
reinstall of ubuntu (at the point when I submitted my original bug, I
was running PopOS).  Before ANY updates, the trackpad works as it should
until I launch software center (or even dmesg -w).  The instant I run
one of those, the track pad stops working.  (kernel 5.4.0-26-generic).
This activity is the same in Wayland and Xorg.

After I did an update to bring it to the latest updates (kernel
5.4.0.29-generic + whatever else needed to be updated from the current
ISO downloadable from Ubuntu (I downloaded it this morning to
reinstall)) the trackpad works at the login screen as it should (clicks
and everything), but once the full desktop is brought up it stops
working.  It will actually work for a few seconds until the desktop is
done loading.

kaihengfeng:  Ok, this was interesting.  I downloaded the tool and ran it, the
first interesting thing is that there are 4 entries listed for the input, 3 of
which are listed for Synaptics pad -

/dev/hidraw0:   Synaptics T Pad V 01.31
/dev/hidraw1:   Synaptics T Pad V 01.31
/dev/hidraw2:   SYNA7500:00 06CB:780E
/dev/hidraw3:   Synaptics T Pad V 01.31

hidraw0 gives data feed back as I move my finger over the trackpad, clicking
the buttons show
        data scrolling similar to as I move my finger on the trackpad
hidraw1 give basic info, but no data feed back as I click or move my finger on
the trackpad - this
        appears to be the hid interface of the keyboard, as I press keys it
shows what key I press
hidraw2 Is the touch screen of the tablet portion, it gives feed back as I move
my finger on the
        screen
hidraw3 I have NO idea what this is, keypresses do nothing, trackpad
interaction does nothing,
        touch screen does nothing, buttons on the side of the screen (volume
up/down) do not
        trigger any feedback

hidraw0 is definitely the trackpad input; I wonder if somehow when the
desktop pulls up its changing what it thinks it should use for the
trackpad from hidraw0 to hidraw3?

which is subscribed to libinput in Ubuntu.

  [Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140] Trackpad does not work