Public bug reported:

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64 (fully patched) on a Dell XPS 8930
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N85NCR). I recently performed a
dist-upgrade to 5.3.0-53-generic. After the upgrade I lost X in non-
recovery mode. In recovery mode I get a GUI at 800x600. 800x600 leaves a
lot to be desired with a 32" monitor.

I reinstalled the kernel components with no joy. Secure Boot is Off.
Reboots did not help. The kernel components were:

* linux-headers-5.3.0-53-generic
* linux-image-5.3.0-53-generic
* linux-modules-5.3.0-53-generic
* linux-modules-extra-5.3.0-53-generic
* linux-tools-5.3.0-53-generic

I tried the Nvidia drivers 435 and 440 with no joy. Reboots did not
help.

I then removed the Nvidia drivers, and I tried the default Xorg server,
but it errors with the following. Reboots did not help.

# apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau nouveau-firmware
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau : Depends: xorg-video-abi-23
                              Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.18.99.901)

I'm not sure which package is the problem here. I generically filed the
report against Xorg, but I suspect there's a better choice of package.
(There is no xserver-xorg-core package available to select).

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64 (fully patched) on a Dell XPS 8930
  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N85NCR). I recently performed a
  dist-upgrade to 5.3.0-53-generic. After the upgrade I lost X in non-
  recovery mode. In recovery mode I get a GUI at 480x320 or 640x480 (if I
  am estimating it correctly).

- I reinstalled the kernel components with no joy. I tried the Nvisia
+ I reinstalled the kernel components with no joy. I tried the Nvidia
  drivers 435 and 440 with no joy. I tried the default Xorg server, but it
  errors with:

  # apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau nouveau-firmware
  Reading package lists... Done
- Building dependency tree
+ Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

-  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau : Depends: xorg-video-abi-23
-                               Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.18.99.901)
+  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau : Depends: xorg-video-abi-23
+                               Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.18.99.901)
+
+ I'm not sure which package is the problem here. I generically filled it
[...]

+ I reinstalled the kernel components with no joy. Reboots did not help.
+ The kernel components were:
+
[...]

  Unmet package dependency "xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.17.2-2)"