upon reboot after distribution upgrade from jaunty to karmic, boot
process proceeds as normal past grub.  then, bootsplash with white
ubuntu symbol on black background comes on for several seconds before
flickering back and forth to the last grub text.  finally, the tty login
prompt (not the gui one) comes up flickering in a pattern of 5 or 6 very
short bursts of less than .1 seconds each, and then the text remains on
screen for about 0.25 seconds before repeating the short bursts again.
only during that .25 seconds of the cycle will the prompt accept
keyboard input.  this barely makes it possible to enter a login name,
but impossible to enter a real password.

[edit]upon hitting the power button, the normal shutdown sequence
appears to occur, and the bootsplash with the plain white ubuntu symbol
comes back on (no flicker) before the machine powers off.

[edit] booted in live cd to look at logs.  the kernel log seems
reasonable, but there is an error regarding freeing an invalid pointer
related to the boot screen.  the xorg log shows that the core pointer
and keyboard can't be found, and that the nvidia driver can't load due
to improper screen config.  if someone can tell me what other logs to
look at I can do that, but in the next day or two I will probably give
up and reinstall from the live cd.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: boot flash flicker karmic keyboard upgrade
--
karmic upgrade problem:  boots to prompt and keyboard input very sketchy
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/454310