journalctl attached.

I had a few attempts at logging in at 11:37 or so, which gave me no clue
as to what was going on, so I moved to a TTY and poked around for a bit.
Googling took me to https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/20-04-workaround-
for-xorg-crashes-to-login-prompt-in-virtual-machines/21368.

As you can see, I removed gstreamer1.0-vaapi at 11:55

May 27 11:55:12 lurcher sudo[9109]:    steve : TTY=tty2 ;
PWD=/home/steve/.local/share/xorg ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/apt-get
purge gstreamer1.0-vaapi

That seemed to do the trick - I was able to login after a reboot.

(I then made the fatal error of turning on autologin for my account and
found I was back at the same issue of not being able to get past the
login screen the following morning but I believe that's a different
bug).

Hopefully this is of some use.

S.

** Attachment added: "journaltl - xorg crash at 11:37. Fresh install straight
from ISO"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1861609/+attachment/5379035/+files/journaloutput.bz2

  [focal] Xorg crashed with assertion failure (usually in a VM) at
  [privates.h:121: dixGetPrivateAddr: Assertion `key->initialized'
  failed] and call stack comes from DRIMoveBuffersHelper