It is super snappy but doesn't work any better: one of the external
monitors, or the other but not both.

I'm unfamiliar with Wayland, and Googling around has not found any
equivalent tools to xrandr to let me interrogate what the system thinks
is going on, so I've included a screenshot of the displays control
panel.

What further diagnostics would you like me to perform?

** Attachment added: "displays failure"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1886729/+attachment/5391134/+files/display-failure.png

  Dell displayport YJ3Y6 adapter doesn't drive 4K screen properly