I have a Toshiba radius 11 laptop which has a 4 k native screen. I have
connected an Asus PB287Q 28" external monitor (https://www.asus.com/us
/Commercial-Monitors/PB287Q/specifications/) over HDMI which displays
the full 4K resolution when running under windows10 but will only reach
a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 under ubuntu 20.04, same hardware just
dual booting. Under Monitor Preferences this monitor is detected as an
"Ancor Communications inc 28" and the monitor preferences provides a
number of resolution steps up to 1920. If I issue "xrandr --addmode
HDMI-1 3840x2160" this resolution is added to the monitor preferences
pick list but attempting to apply it results in "the selected
configuration for displays could not ..." message

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Tags: focal
--
External monitor will not display to 4k