Middle (aka scroll wheel) is normally paste and the one right to the
scroll wheel opens context menu. The rightmost button, under the ring
finger, used to do the Back function (and the thumb button did Forward).
This is also how it works in Windows, at least without installing any
additional drivers. Paste button placement doesn't need to be considered
on that OS, though...

I agree that this is largely a matter of preference - I don't find using
the scrollwheel button difficult for pasting, but YMMV. I reverted the
change using your instructions (thanks!) but can't really speak for
others.

Anyone using mice with "extra" buttons probably agrees that the best
option would be being able to configure mouse buttons easily using a
GUI.

--
HAL configuration for Kingsis Peripherals Evoluent VerticalMouse 3
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in ubuntu.