This happens to me every week on Ubuntu 16.04. LTS with kernel
4.15.0-112-generic. It seems to be  a random complete system freeze. The
mouse does not respond, caps lock and numlock do not change light on
keyboard, ctrl alt f2/f3/etc does not work, and even Alt + SysRq REISUB
does not respond. Only a hard reset works by pressing the power button
will reboot the system.

I noticed I could reproduce the bug easily by watching videos and/or
reading news on "heavy" newspaper websites in Firefox. In contrast, in
Chrome I rarely experience the issue.

>From what I have read, and since I have a GeForce GTX graphic card with
original NVIDIA drivers installed, I suspect that the problem is
strongly related to these three components: video encoder/decoder,
browser and graphic card/drivers.

  Random unrecoverable freezes on Ubuntu 18.10