The fix (upgrading to HWE) doesn't change the Mesa lib version, so while
it could be caused by a newer Mesa interacting badly with the older
kernel or xorg, I feel like it seems more like to be kernel or xorg.

18.04 is LTS, and this is somewhat of a trap for those doing CI testing
of desktop applications, so I'd be happy to help a little more in trying
to identify if a fix can be taken back.

A bisect seems like it'd be a huge effort however so I'm ruling that out
for now. I still reckon if I knew which process picks up the message
that xcb_glx_create_context_attribs_arb_checked sends I could take a
closer look and find why it rejects the extension value. Happen to know
how to track that?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Failure to create core GL context with llvmpipe when using
  GLX_ARB_context_flush_control