I'm having the same issue on my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 with Intel® Core™ M-5Y71
CPU.
First time I tried Ubuntu 20.04 and the touchpad issue was the some.
I tried more OS is like Debian buster, Fedora 32 with no luck.
Then I re-installed Ubuntu but I used the latest 20.04.1 and to my surprise
everything works.
I mean left and right click on the touchpad and the touchscreen also.
When I opened the Ubuntu software center the touchpad error reappeared.
The touchpad works on login page until I do a login.

I tried to investigate the issue:
- I saved my dmesg when everything is working.
- I created an lvm snapshot from the / partition and tried to restore it but
the touchpad stop working after login...

In the syslog I found some fwupd related errors so I tried to follow that clue.
Then I found similar issue
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1120267/synaptics-touchpad-disabled-after-login-after-recent-18-10-update

Masking the service fwupd using systemctl mask fwupd.service command is partly
solve the issue.
Now, I have a working mouse cursole after login but the left and right click
not working.

I checked devices with with xinput:
csaba@csaba-Venue-11-Pro-7140:~$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Mouse             id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Touchpad          id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SYNA7500:00 06CB:780E                     id=17   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                 id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated_Webcam_FHD: Integrat           id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31                   id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Consumer Control  id=12   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Wireless Radio Control    id=13   [slave
keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated_Webcam_8M: Rear Inte           id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Intel Virtual Button driver               id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ SYNA7500:00 06CB:780E                     id=16   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                          id=18   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=19   [slave  keyboard (3)]

I enabled and disabled these and I find out which is the touchscreen and
which the touchpad.

Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Mouse                   id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
<---- Touchpad
Synaptics T Pad V 01.31 Touchpad                id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
SYNA7500:00 06CB:780E                           id=17   [slave  pointer  (2)]
<---- Touchscreen

When I disabled the id 10 the mouse pointer still working with the
touchpad and the touchscreen also.

** Attachment added: "working_toucpad.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1877655/+attachment/5432313/+files/working_toucpad.txt

which is subscribed to libinput in Ubuntu.

  [Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140] Trackpad does not work