I have started to experience this bug after upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04
to 20.04. Whenever I remove my external keyboard and plug it back in,
the external keyboard's layout switches to US English instead of
whatever it was set to. The laptop's built-in keyboard layout remains
correct.

I did not notice any warnings in my logs. If you need more information /
debug output, I'd be glad to help.

Some details:
* Laptop: Lenovo T480
* OS: Ubuntu 20.04
* External keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Professional (model no.:
DASK4MKPROSIL-3G7-r1.2)

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  Keyboard layout reset after attaching USB keyboard