Daniel, of course. My point was that I've now seen multiple occurrences
where this suspend on login bug, as it continues to occur on a given
system, causes Ubuntu to become less and less stable over time.
Unfortunately that impact has become predictable at least on the
machines here. So to me, this particular bug is of increasing concern
and urgency.

I'm new to Ubuntu and appreciate your pointers. If I can see consistency
and gather enough information to report a new bug, I will. So far, what
I see is that this suspend on login bug can follow various events on a
docked laptop: loading the Dropbox app, loading the Logitech module for
a USB wireless mouse, loading third party nVidia drivers... and then
with continued occurrences it goes deeper into the gnome shell. The
affected systems have submitted automated crash reports already. But at
this point my concern is this suspend on login bug.

I certainly didn't intend to shift attention from the bug at hand! Quite
the opposite. Thanks.

  Laptop docked with lid closed, goes to sleep immediately on login