** Description changed:

- The different power profiles require loading the nvidia drivers with
- different options (or blacklisting them, in case of intel mode).
+ Since we introduced support for dynamic power management, on systems
+ with hybrid graphics (LP: #1904583), the need to load drivers with
+ different options has become more evident.

- We need to call update-initramfs whenever we switch to a different
- profile, or things may fall out sync, resulting in a failure.
+ We need to make sure that the files in the initramfs are in sync with
+ the current user selection.

- The update-initramfs command takes a few seconds, therefore we also need
- to provide feedback, so that users know that they have to wait for the
- operation to complete. For this reason, prime-select will provide a
- spinner on the command line, and nvidia-settings will show a progress
- dialog.
+ This is also a chance to update the old nvidia-settings release in the
+ archive.
+
+
+ [Impact]
+
+ * If the modules list is not in sync with the selected power profile,
+ users may experience a black screen or increased power consumption.
+
+ * Updating the initramfs can take a few seconds, and we need to provide
+ users with some form of visual feedback.
+
+ [Fix]
+
+ * The prime-select tool shoud update the initramfs when switching
+ between power profiles, and provide visual feedback.
+
+ * The nvidia-settings panel should provide a progress dialog, since
+ profile switching would otherwise freeze the UI until update-initramfs
+ completes.
+
+ [Test Case]
+
+ Make sure a supported nvidia driver is installed (450, 460), then
+ install nvidia-prime and nvidia-settings from proposed, and check the
+ following:
+
+ 1) prime-select query (to check your current profile)
+
+ 2) sudo prime-select on-demand (or "intel", or "nvidia", depending on
+ your current power profile)
+
+ 3) Check that the operation completes successfully.
+
+ 4) Reboot your system
+
+ 5) Launch the nvidia-setting panel.
+
+ 6) Select a different profile from the PRIME tab, and check that a
+ progress dialog is correctly displayed.
+
+ 7) Close the nvidia-settings panel, and reboot.
+
+
+ [Regression Risk]
+ Medium, while the changes in prime-select are trivial, nvidia-settings needs
careful testing.

** Summary changed:

- Always update the initramfs when changing power profile
+ SRU: Always update the initramfs when changing power profile

which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in Ubuntu.

  SRU: Always update the initramfs when changing power profile