I tried this but didn't work for me. But it could be because I didn't use the
right patch.diff file. My patch.diff starts at: "---
a/src/gallium/drivers/i915/i915_screen.c" and ends at "switch (param)" from the
patch link provided.
After that, I just tried building " libgl1-mesa-dri" with:
sudo apt-build install libgl1-mesa-dri This took a long time to complete, but
doesn't fix the issue.
I guess I will wait for the patch to be pushed into Ubuntu updates eventually.
Any idea when that would be?
Note: I can do "startx" from command line. However, the graphics login doesn't
appear at startup because of segfault in
gnome-session-check-accelerated-gl-helper.
Thanks,Santosh

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  gnome-shell/gnome-session-check-accelerated-gl-helper crashed with
  SIGSEGV in cso_destroy_context() [r300_dri.so]