I downloaded Kubuntu daily build for 2021-04-09 and put the iso on a thumb drive
I am using the 'safe graphics' option needed by my system.

The on screen display of the initial file check process, with option to
skip, still doesn't show.

A splash screen eventually shows and flickers a few times before the
screen with 'try live' and 'install now' buttons appears.

I can now successfully access with the 'live screen' option,  also the
'install now' button works.

I successfully installed Kubuntu Hippo via the 'install now' button.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Ubiquity KDE crash on try/install and from live session with
  "malloc(): unaligned tcache chunk detected"