I had an idea :)

Do desktop effects work in that "garbaged" state?

Yes they work.

In that one pixel I could see, changes of opacity, "wobbly" windows ...
That means that bug is somewhere, in manipulation with 3D texture and sending
it to display.

And if I take into consideration, that even older intel driver (deb package)
doesn't help anymore
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/383345/comments/36
 ),
I'd say, that there were two bugs in game.
One in intel driver - black/white screen with moving mouse (didn't have that
special one pixel). That is fixed.
And one in mesa/3D (I believe), or xserver - the garbaged screen with texture
cropped to 1px.

But don't take me too seriously ;)

--
[i945GM] dual screen not working with virtual resolution enabled: just a blank
screen with a mouse pointer